With the explosion in ride-sharing apps, it can be nearly impossible to find a cab when you need one. And let’s face it: Taking a taxi is expensive. In most major metropolitan areas, you have to pay upwards of $3 for just one mile of travel. So, if you’re looking for an inexpensive way to get from Point A to Point B, your best option might be to rent a car with a debit card! You’ll be able to travel in privacy and comfort while still saving money on gas and parking costs.
I’ve got a debit card, but no cash: Can I still rent a car with a debit card?
Absolutely! Some companies will accept a debit card and put the rental down as an additional charge. For example: If you rent from Hertz and use your American Express card, you’ll pay Hertz $200 in cash and they’ll charge you an additional $65 for Hertz to handle the rental. You’ll be renting with Hertz, but your total cost will come out to $335 including tax. Imagine that! You’d also be responsible for any fees your credit card company may charge on your statement when renting from Hertz.
How much does it cost to rent a car with a debit card?
Here in the Twin Cities, you’ll pay between $35 and $45 for a week-long rental on most debit cards . For example, if you were going to rent from Hertz and choose the Eldorado (a nice vehicle) for seven days and fill up with gas every day, that would cost about $380! But if you had a credit card, you’d pay about $480. Now here’s the thing: The numbers don’t add up. Our calculations include all of the ridiculous taxes and fees that come with renting a car: valet parking, meals, tolls and state taxes. In addition to those fees, rental companies will also assess an additional “fuel” charge for gasoline.
So, if you fill up your tank once, you can expect an extra $25 to be added to your tab. Add that to the fees and taxes and we’re talking about $505 for a week-long car rental using a debit card. Those numbers show that credit cards clearly offer the best financial advantage when renting a car with a debit card.
Also Read: 25 Things to Look for While Buying a House
When is it cheaper to rent a car with a debit card?
The answer is if you are renting for less than four days in a row. If you’re renting for fewer than four days, it’s almost always cheaper to use a debit card, because it will work out to be the same price as using your credit card. For example, Hertz charges $40 per day for a 7-day rental using a credit card. If you break up that rental into two 3-day rentals by using your debit card, then you’ll only pay $30 per day!
How can I find the lowest price for my debit card?
Hertz’ website will show you the prices for all of their rental locations . Just type in your zip code and it will show you all of the options.
How can I find a rental car with a debit card?
A Google search for “rental card” will let you know if there is any demand for renting with your debit card. When I searched for “rental card” in February, there were over 30 million results! Since the credit card companies are not very good at marketing to the public, it’s best to try to find the most competitive price online. For example: If you’re planning a trip to Europe and need a car , check out Enterprise Rent-A-Car. They have satellite offices all over Europe and will probably have very competitive rates. Just do an online search for your next destination and see if they rent cars with debit cards.
How can I link my debit card to my rental?
You will probably be able to link your credit card or debit card with your monthly statement, but be sure to check with the company that you’re renting from because some of them have strict rules. You’ll also want to make sure that you’re linking your debit card to the correct account. Some companies require a PIN number, which can only be accessed by calling the number on the back of the card and going through a phone menu. Others may require an email address and/or your Social Security number. In any case, you’ll need either an email address or another way of getting in touch with them so they can process your rental with no problems.
Step-by-step guide on how to rent a car with debit card
- Start your search with Google. The search term “rental cards” will provide you a large number of choices for renting a car with a debit card. If you go through the process, you will likely find that there are a handful of companies that offer this option. Please note that not all rental companies offer rental cars with your debit card.
- Once you’ve located the company that offers this service, go to their website and look to see if they have any local locations in the area where you need to rent a car with a debit card. If they have branches locally, give them a call and make an appointment. If they are already on your list because of the search term, then you can just go online to their website and look around. It’s also possible that they might have a branch in your area. Google should help you locate the branch closest to you.
- If possible, pick the rental company that has the best prices for cars with your debit card. You might want to do some research online before selecting a rental company in order to find out their rates. Some companies are better than others when it comes to offering their own branded cars at competitive rates . You’re looking for one that offers low prices, great service, and most importantly: no fees .
- Now check out the car you want to rent and how much it costs to rent with your debit card.
- Perhaps you would prefer to rent from Hertz or Enterprise. If so, make a note of their prices, which should be listed on their website . If you don’t find the rates that you want, then another technique you can use is to call and ask for the prices in person. You will likely succeed if it’s avoidable for them to give you the cost over the phone.
- Once you’ve selected a car, pick the company that has fewer fees and charges than others who offer similar cars at similar prices. Check out all of their fees before selecting your choice. Some features that they might charge extra money for include: free gas; free vehicle maintenance; parking; and tolls .
T-Mobile does not accept MasterCard debit cards
Checks are also not accepted for payments at T-Mobile stores, but you can use major credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard and Discover. If you don’t have one of these cards and would like to pay with a check or money order, don’t forget to bring ID to the store when making your payment to speed up the process.
For more information or questions about renting a car with a debit card, please feel free to contact us through our contact us page . We’re here to help you make wise decisions about your money!